Abusing Cucumber, for a good cause

In several Java houses I worked with in the past, we used Cucumber to do Behavior Driven Design. No hang on a sec – that’s definitely an exaggeration. I think it’s more accurate to say we used Cucumber as a way to write acceptance tests. Wait, that’s still an exaggeration. We used Cucumber to write a mix of integration tests, and what may generously be called functional tests (and very occasionally bordering on acceptance tests). Yeah, that’s about right. We used it as a tool to write tests in plain English. But you know what? I think that’s OK.

Cucumberistas, BDDers and DDDers will tell you it’s about everyone – business, QA and development – coming together to come up with executable specifications.  It’s about everyone speaking in a universal language – a language that the business analysts can share with the testers, and the developers. A language about the business problems an application is designed to solve. And a language for automated acceptance tests. Well maybe, just maybe, you are in an organization where that’s true. Where your Cucumber tests describe your user stories or specifications in the domain language for your application. If you are, good for you. You’re doing it “right”.

But for everyone else, I want to talk about some work we did to support your Cucumber test-writing efforts in the “wrong” way. And we don’t want to scold you, or admonish you for doing it “wrong”. No, in fact, we want to support you in your efforts to just write tests for HTTP services in English.

What I am talking about is best illustrated with an example – here’s how we use Cucumber to write tests for our application:

    Given the user stores http: //localhost:9080 as apiRoot

Scenario: Successful registration flow
    Given a random alphanumeric string is stored as testUserName
    And a user makes a POST call to "{apiRoot}/users"
    with payload:
    """ {
        "email": "{testUserName}@gmail.com",
        "password": "pass",
        "userName": "{testUserName}",
        "name": "Test User",
        "location": "London"
    Then the user should get a 200 response and JSON matching:
        "email": "{testUserName}@gmail.com",
        "userName": "{testUserName}",
        "name": "Test User",
        "location": "London",
        "id": "*"
    And the email containing subject Activate your account for {testUserName}@gmail.com is stored as activationEmail
    And the first link in stored HTML activationEmail is stored as activationLink
    And the regex activations / (\w + ) is used on stored value activationLink to capture activationToken
    When a user makes a POST call to "{apiRoot}/tokens/activation/{activationToken}"
    Then the user should get a 200 response
    Given the user "{testUserName}@gmail.com"
    is logged in with password "pass"
    on "{apiRoot}"
    When a user makes a GET call to "{apiRoot}/widgets/{testUserName}"
    Then the user should get a 200 response and JSON matching:

Yes, what we have here is a functional test for one of our stories. But all the steps are essentially an English version of what a HTTP client would do when hitting the service. A business analyst probably wouldn’t want to read that but that’s really OK for us – business analysts in our experience don’t read the tests. Developers and testers read our tests, and it’s a great English language description of what the test does. I don’t need to click through the code behind the step definitions to know what’s going on. As a developer, I can understand right away what is being done.

So if you are OK with writing tests this way, check out the cucumber module we created as part of datamill. It has all the step definitions you see in the example above. If you are writing HTTP services, especially those that serve JSON, and are backed by a relational database, you will find it useful. Oh, and we threw in some useful step definitions for dealing with emails too because we needed them.

I want to end by admitting the following about this approach: Yes, sometimes this can get to be repetitive and a lot of copy-pasting. So, I will leave you with a last example of a custom step definiton we created that combines the utility ones above:

import cucumber.api.java.en.Given;
import foundation.stack.datamill.cucumber.DatabaseSteps;
import foundation.stack.datamill.cucumber.HttpSteps;
import foundation.stack.datamill.cucumber.PropertySteps;
import foundation.stack.datamill.http.Method;

public class UserSteps {
 private final DatabaseSteps databaseSteps;
 private final HttpSteps httpSteps;
 private final PropertySteps propertySteps;

 public UserSteps(PropertySteps propertySteps, DatabaseSteps databaseSteps, HttpSteps httpSteps) {
 this.propertySteps = propertySteps;
 this.databaseSteps = databaseSteps;
 this.httpSteps = httpSteps;

 @Given("^the user \"(.+)\" is logged in with password \"(.+)\" on \"(.+)\"$")
 public void loginAsUser(String email, String password, String apiRoot) {
 httpSteps.userMakesCallWithProvidedPayload(Method.POST, apiRoot + "/tokens", "{" +
 "\"email\": \"" + email + "\"," +
 "\"password\": \"" + password +
 httpSteps.addValueToHeader("Authorization", "{JWT}");

Checkout datamill, and the cucumber module!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *